Monday, November 27, 2006

Where do we go from here?

I'm sad to see this course coming to a close. For me, this has really been a provocative class. It's challenged my beliefs in such a way that encouraged me to revise my views on how to best teach English, what meaningful work looks like, and how to bring classrooms, schools and districts into the world our students already live in.

What happens to these blogs we've been working on? I know that I will miss reading our course blog and my classmates' blogs. When Will visited our class, Larissa asked him how he learns about the best new technology out there. He said he has a network of "teachers." These blogs are my network of teachers. People are constantly posting links to interesting articles, helpful resources and amusing song parodies. Equally valuable has been the experiences of people in terms of bringing some of what we discuss into their classrooms. I will definitely continue to visit Chris' blog to hear how his students are doing and how his colleagues react to his letter suggesting a revamping of the English program. I hope to hear how student teaching goes, and how what we've done in this course becomes a part of that experience. I think most of us have felt the effects of this course when talking to our families and friends. It's been a powerful experience.

I realize this post is a little "link-happy," but I wanted to try to show how valuable these blogs are. I haven't even mentioned the books we've read, and the thoughtful discussions they have encouraged. What I'm trying to say is, please keep posting. I love the learning that continually happens in and out of the classroom as a result of this class. Thank you, teachers, for making this semester such a meaningful one.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Sarah, for your passionate participation and contributions throughout the semester.

We will continue to have a blog in the spring for the student teachers. I would like everyone in 506 to sign on to this blog so that conversations can flow between student teachers and classroom teachers.

I hope that each of you will continue to blog and we'll link your blogs to the spring blog just as we have done with the 506 blog.

So, Sarah, we'll keep in touch, all of us. That is my fervent hope. But it's up to the class members to decide if they will support continued cross-talk.

Mrs. Brenneck said...

Sarah, I'll also miss checking in on everyone's blogs. I'm definitely stretched too thin to think about and comment on all of the provocative posts that people put up, but I have finally come to realize just how much of a community we have created. I don't know if I'm going to continue Going Native, but I plan on participating in the student teaching blog or creating a new one which isn't so based on 506. I hope that we all keep in touch and continue to share all of our insights and breakthroughs...

Mr. Johnston said...

You go, Sarah. I do feel like we should have a ex-506 blog in which we a) vent b) compare notes c) inform each other of neat, new websites / ideas, etc.

Maybe you could take that on?!

Anonymous said...

Chris, every voice will be welcome on the student teachers' blog. I'm hoping that classroom teachers like you and Sarah will be regular posters on that blog--mentoring your peers in their new assignments.

ChrissyEmerson said...

I completely agree Sarah. It took me awhile to get involeved adamently in the blogging, but I do think it is a fabulous way to bounce ideas off of each other as English Teachers. It's just nice when you feel like "all eyes are on you" and you can ask other people's imput that you know will be critical and valuable, but I won't get all teary-eyed on you because I will be student teaching this spring :). Talk to you then!

Joe Fox said...

Aww sarah what a nice post. I think alot of us are going to keep posting. That's the (one of the)beauty(ies) of the internet, it doesn't end with a class like this. We can still hang out on the web after 506. Except we'll be able to use more profane language.