Saturday, December 02, 2006

Sarah's read aloud history:

Inspired by Joe's post:

My mother and read aloud together nightly up until middle school. We read the Narnia books, everything by E.B. White, A Little Princess, The Secret Garden, lots of Beverly Cleary, Judy Blume and other YA from the '80s. After we read Are You in the House Alone? by Richard Peck, we discussed the book (about rape), and I wrote to the author.

Mrs. Donner, my fifth grade teacher read aloud to us every day. The two I remember more are The Westing Game and The Cay. She made different voices for all the characters, and brought the story to life. Wonderful...

Much later on, in a Children's Lit. class at Bunker Hill Community College in Boston, Professor McLaughlin read us Charlotte's Web. Again, I was absorbed by the story and the reading aloud - even though he didn't do the voices. However, I found that I was the only one of my classmates who seemed to enjoy this time. I don't know why, but people just didn't seem that into it.

Don't laugh - but when I was pregnant with my son, I read to him nightly. I have been reading aloud to him ever since, and I plan to keep reading as long as he'll listen. He loves The Lorax, and I love reading it aloud to him.

So, does this history mean that my mother started me on the path to becoming an English teacher? How do you think being read to impacts a person at different ages? Why does reading aloud happen less and less (and seem to be enjoyed less and less) in middle and high school?

7 comments:

Jennifer Taft said...

This reminded me of one of the days I spent subbing last year in a first grade classroom. The teacher left in her sub plans that the students loved to be read to. She was right. It was pretty much the only thing all day I could get all 20+ of those rug rats to sit still and listen to for an extended period of time. I dont remember what the book was, I think Junie B. Jones or something like that. In any case, Im glad that teacher is reading aloud to her students and that they enjoy it. Maybe they will carry that along with them through middle and high school.

Joe Fox said...

Sarah this is a wonderful history of reading aloud you have shared. It truly does sound like you were raised to be a lover of literature. An enviable position that I am sure you will have little trouble sharing with your daughter. Your words and Jenn's make connections to the adolescent affinity for reading aloud. It seems that the older you get the less likely you are to enjoy this activity. Of course, then you become an actual adult and start to enjoy it again. Somehow this reluctance must be linked to teenage self-consciousness. Even among my friends who now enjoy reading aloud, it took some getting used to. Thanks for the post. My love of reading aloud has officially been rejuvenated by this discussion.

Joe Fox said...

Also thanks for the link to This American Life. I can't believe I have never checked that out before, I really enjoy that show as well.

jennifer wasser said...

What an interesting discussion you have started (I'm not sure if it was you, Sarah, or Joe who initiated it). I have actually never been a fan of being read to for some silly reason, but I'm assuming it's because I struggled as an audio learner. Being the one who was doing the reading, on the other hand, has been something I've loved to do since before I was in kindergarden. I'm not going to go into my own experiences with reading through the years, but I will say that I've begun to think about how it may have affected my reading patterns and interests as a result of your post. As far as reading to your son when you were pregnant with him -- I commend you and have to admit that I will probably do that someday as well! What could ever be the harm in teaching children about the importance of words and reading them as early as possible?! However old your son is now, I am sure he is not at the point where he can appreciate the skills and awareness you are instilling in him. But someday I am sure he will thank you (perhaps not to your face, but in a new age blog post!), just as you are acknowledging the influence of your mother and former teachers in terms of your reading appreciation.

joy said...

I am also very passionate about reading aloud! I read to Grace daily and nightly. She cries if she does not get a "goodnight: book. I actually have a list on my website. I think that you people do love to read be read to and that it takes awhile for any type of change. I also read aloud to my students, which they love. Sometimes it is the only time they will read. It is something that you should not give up on.

Charm said...

I definitely think that your passion for reading was deeply impacted by your wonderful tradition with your mother. I read with my parents regularly also, but I am one of those Joe refers to who has sort of loss that appreciation for reading aloud. Since my niece was born, I have rediscovered my love of reading aloud and being read to. While in a kindergarten class at Belle Sherman earlier this week, story time was the best time. That was the one moment where I had everyone's attention at the same time. During free reading time, I had a little girl ask me to read to her while she sat on my lap. I did so happily and by the end of the first book, I had a group of children all trying to sit on my lap or at least get close to me. It was so sweet. The power of reading is amazing and I love to hear everyone's experiences with reading aloud. Now, if I can just get Jeremy (my husband) to want to read a book aloud together I will be completely happy.

Mrs. Brenneck said...

My mother read to me, and I then read to my brother when he was younger, but once I could read on my own, I've disliked listening to people read. Weird huh? I don't get into the story nearly as much when someone elses voice imposes different interpretations. I think that always inevitably happens...